85% of smartphone users use less than 1 GB per month. However, the remaining 15% of users, especially the upper 2%, collectively consume half of the total available network capacity. This means the overwhelming majority of users overpay for data every month because they are being charged for unlimited data they neither need nor use.Or, to take it a step further, 85% of smartphone users are subsidizing the data costs of a few heavy users.
This is how JCI introduced their Bmobile Talking 1 GB Flat rate SIM, available from 9/22 [J press release]. Honestly, I really couldn't agree more, as a recurring theme on this blog is doing things cost effectively and efficiently.
If you have been following Bmobile products lately, you can likely guess the details. As always, voice SIMs in Japan are limited to residents and are not available to tourists. In total, to start service from scratch, the first month will cost ¥7,920 (activation charge and first data charge), with each additional month costing about ¥4,400 (including universal service charge, etc.)
- Full size and micro SIM
- ¥3,150 activation fee
- ¥1,290 for 32.5 minutes
- Additional airtime at ¥21/30 seconds
- 1 GB/30 days at ¥3,100 (initial 1GB charge is ¥3,480)
- MNP is possible
- Any Talking SIM can be converted to a 1 GB flat rate plan (data-only SIMs are not compatible with Talking plans)
- 1 year contract required with no automatic renewal (unlike everyone else)
- 10,500 early termination fee